Home

Who am I?

S vintage star
S filipina now living in california
S obsessive-compulsive... make that compulsive-obsessive... no, obsessive-compulsive
S cold all the time (literally)

current terror alert level
Terror Alert Level

Why is Life Cold?

i actually have a very happy life. i just saw this graphic one day and got an inspiration for another blog. why not write about the stuff that makes life cold? from the huge, catastrophic, life-altering events to the seemingly trivial, little incidents that rub you the wrong way. it doesn't have to be a personal experience, it can be something observed.

on writing these down, my intent is to learn to appreciate life more and have a better handle on things when life throws you a curve ball. i want whoever will read this to contemplate, not get depressed. hopefully, you'll share with me your experiences as well so we can learn from each other.

p.s. it doesn't always have to be cold

Previous Posts

Archives

Get Cold With Me

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Suddenly... Life Got Cold



powered by Bloglet

Where I Go When I Feel Life Getting Cold

S Memento
S Jo's Forum
S Shai Coggins
S pinayexpat
S joyceline
S piehole (a very funny girl)
S Din's World
S pinayhekmi chronicles
S Linnor
S Tin
S kwentong tambay
S deja brew
S denden
S mushings
S Junkville (never fails)

 

designed by lonelyger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com





FILIPINA O+

After The Love is Gone

This should be the last time I write about my work. At least for a while. As you can see from the previous posts, I have had a tumultuous week last week. Half of our department was laid off last Monday (yeah, the day after Mother's Day), as well as half of other divisions at headquarters.

With these recent events, I have made some realizations.

Too much of my life revolves around work. I swear I've been more depressed about the work situation than when something does happen in my personal life. I have had bouts of sadness when I will just start to sob, and my hubby understands and just puts his arms around me without saying a word.

Getting laid off is not always a bad thing. The people who got let go actually got a good severance package. Our company used to have a cap on the payout - 10 weeks. Maybe because the reduction this time is so severe, they waived that cap such that some people who have been with the company 25 years actually got over a year's pay. Since a lot of people also are transitioning out, they were given a 25% increase on their time remaining, which can be as long as six months. So the combination of those two deals equate to an actually sweet package. Too bad my manager wouldn't let me avail of it.

A lot of my friends I have met through work. While I was organizing a "see you later" get together for one of my friends, who will be leaving next week, half of those invited were our friends who are no longer with the company. Man, I need to get out more!

My manager expects too much from me. I don't know if I should get excited for this new challenge (although I've never heard it myself, I've heard from others that she has referred to me as the Junior CIO), or reach for my security blanket and cower in fear. I have found my work very easy and comfortable, but with my resources taken away and I'll have to do the work of three people, I predict many stressful days ahead.

The main cause of our reduction in force is offshoring of functions. They got rid of my staff and I will now have to hire a new team to work in our Philippine office. I came from the Philippines and of course, love working with Filipinos, but I know this will be a challenge for me, especially with the urgent nature of my job and the time difference.

Well, taking from the sappy '80s song in the title, the love is now gone. Due to need, I will be staying on, mechanically doing my job, until I'm blessed one day to find something that I love again.

Vangie Fuhrman got cold on 5.16.2005 7:29 PM. |

Comments: Post a Comment